Simplified. You will need a piping bag.
Makes : 6 servings
Prep : 45mins
Cooking time : 1.5hr (+ 7hr refrigeration)
- 250g milk
- 64g caster sugar
- 1/2 vanilla bean split in half; seeds scraped out
- 60g egg yolks
- 12g plain flour
- 12g corn flour
- 6g gelatin sheets, soaked in cold water
- 20g unsalted butter
- 200g whipped cream (35% fat content minimum)
- Add milk, vanilla bean, and seeds to a small saucepan. Bring to almost a boil, set aside,
cover, and allow infusing for an hour.
- Beat the egg yolks and sugar until pale and slightly thickened. Whisk in the corn flour and flour.
- Reheat milk until it almost boils. Gently and slowly whisks in milk into the egg mixture.
- Place everything back onto the pan on medium-high heat, stirring continuously while ensuring the bottom doesn’t burn until everything has thickened and starts to boil. Take off heat.
- Add drained gelatin and mix everything well together. Quickly whisk in butter.
- Pass creme patissiere through a fine sieve and cover tightly in cling wrap. Refrigerate for 6 hours.
- With a hand or stand mixer, beat creme patissiere until smooth. Add 1/3 whipped cream and whisk gently through. The remaining whipped cream gently fold through. Place into a piping bag and refrigerate for an hour.
Caramelized Puff Pastry Sheets
- 350g (approx.) store-bought butter puff pastry
- Caster sugar
- Icing sugar
- Preheat oven 180°C/356°F.
- Roll out pastry dough on a square piece of parchment paper, divide it in half and place the remaining dough back into the fridge to keep cool.
- Dust with caster sugar evenly and very gently push sugar into the pastry dough with a rolling pin. Place the second sheet of parchment paper on the pastry dough, flip, and repeat the process.
- Prick pastry dough several times with a fork and bake for 20-23 minutes or until puff and lightly golden. Note: the second parchment paper is not needed for the first baking process.
- Place another baking paper on top of the pastry dough and put another sheet pan to weigh the pastry down. Bake for 15-20 minutes more until golden in color.
- Remove the second pan, evenly scatter the top with icing sugar, crank up the oven to 200˚C/392°F and bake for another 2-3 minutes. Note: sugar can burn very quickly. Always keep an eye on the pastry during this last step!
- While still warm, quickly cut 9cm by 9cm square sheets with a sharp knife. Split square pastry sheets in half by using a sharp, clean knife. Store sheets separated by small pieces of parchment paper in an airtight box until ready for use.
- Repeat everything above with the second pastry sheet.
- Icing sugar for dusting
- Finely grated 1-2 tonka bean(s) (not necessary)
- Dust each pastry square liberally with icing sugar.
- Add a small amount of pastry cream onto a plate and place a pastry square on the top.
- Pipe three dollops of pastry cream in the center of the pastry sheet.
- Add a second pastry sheet followed by three dollops of pastry cream.
- Repeat this process once more, followed by the last pastry sheet.
- Add finely grated tonka bean to finish.
- Enjoy xx