Simple dessert, but careful execution is key.
Makes : 4-6 portions (depending on the biscuit size and layering)
Cooking time : 1.5hr (+ 3hr refrigeration)
Difficulty : “simple dessert, but careful execution is key”
- 250g mascarpone cream
- 50 caster sugar
- 25g heavy cream ( minimum 35% fat content)
- 2 eggs yolks
- 2 gelatin leaves
- ½ lemon zest
- ½ seeds from vanilla pod
- 125g heavy cream (minimum 35% fat content)
- Soak the gelatin sheets in cold water and set aside. Once soft, squeeze out any
- Gently heat up in a small saucepan the heavy cream and stir occasionally. Take
off heat and whisk in gelatin until well homogenized. Strain the cream mixture
through a fine sieve and set aside to cool.
- Beat the egg yolks and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the mascarpone cream,
lemon zest, and vanilla seeds. Mix until well combined. Then, add the
cool/warm cream mixture and beat everything until light and fluffy. Refrigerate
for a minimum 3 hours (Note: I would not prepare this overnight, as the gelatin
will set too much).
- Once the mascarpone mixture has set, whip quickly until light and fluffy again.
- Whip the cream until just soft peaks form, and gently fold through the
mascarpone mixture. Cover and refrigerate in the meantime.
Biscuit & Coffee Mixture
- 200g lady fingers (approximately 24 pieces)
- 230g freshly brewed coffee
- 35g Amaretto
- 25g Cointreau
- 20g caster sugar
- Mix freshly brewed coffee, Amaretto, Cointreau, and sugar. Refrigerate until
cool. In the meantime, prepare a small baking tray (that can fit into the
refrigerator) and cover with Cling film (to later place the soaked lady fingers on).
- Once coffee mixture has cooled, soak each lady finger individually and place
onto the prepared baking tray. Notes: careful with this process, soaked
them too long and they crumble, soak them to little and they will be to
biscuity! If the coffee liquid isn’t enough, just make another portion, i.e., ½ more.
- Refrigerate and cover with Cling film once all lady fingers have been
Coffee Chocolate Sauce
- 50g milk chocolate
- 25g dark chocolate
- 50g heavy cream (minimum 35% fat content)
- 15g freshly brewed coffee (or ristretto)
- Pinch of sea salt
- Heat up the cream in a pan.
- Then add the chocolate, coffee, sea salt, and combine everything well.
- Set aside and keep warm.
- Cacao powder
- Take out the soaked lady fingers, and place i.e., two on a plate.
- Add some of the mascarpone cream using a spoon or piping bag.
- Add a second layer of soaked lady fingers, followed by some of the mascarpone
cream. Continue this process until reaching a desired layer height, i.e., 2-3 stacks
- Dust liberally with cacao powder.
- Continue this process with the other portions.
- To finish, drizzle with some of the warm coffee chocolate sauce & enjoy xx