Simplified version, served with a strawberry jam.
Makes : 6-8 perforated tart rings (9.5cm)
Difficulty : easy
- 100g unsalted butter
- 80g icing sugar
- 55g egg yolks (+-)
- 200g plain flour
- Small bowl, add unsalted butter & icing sugar & beat lightly.
- Add egg yolk & beat until well combined.
- Add flour & beat on low speed until just combined. Wrap & refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Roll out between two pieces of parchment paper to a 2-3mm thickness, stencil out the base, & cut thin strips for the rims. Cut off excess trimmings.
- Bake at 180°C / 356°F for 15-20min or until golden brown. Remove from oven & allow to cool.
White Chocolate Cream
- 200g milk
- 100g caster sugar
- 1/2 vanilla bean split in half; seeds scraped out
- 60g egg yolks
- 20g cornflour
- 3.2g gelatin sheets soaked in cold water
- 100g white chocolate
- 180g whipped cream (35% fat content minimum)
- Add milk, vanilla bean, & seeds to a small saucepan. Bring to almost a boil, set aside, cover, & allow infusing for an hour.
- Melt white chocolate using bain-marie technique or microwave with short bursts. Once melted, set aside.
- Beat the egg yolks & sugar until pale & slightly thickened. Whisk in the cornflour.
- Reheat milk until it almost boils. Gently & slowly whisks milk into the egg mixture.
- Place everything back onto the pan on medium-high heat, stirring continuously until everything has thickened & starts to boil. Take off heat.
- Add drained gelatin & mix everything well together. Add melted white chocolate & mix through until well combined.
- Pass creme patissiere through a fine sieve & cover tightly in cling wrap. Refrigerate for 6 hours.
- Beat creme patissiere until smooth. Add 1/3 whipped cream and whisk gently through. Gently fold through the remaining whipped cream. Place into a piping bag & refrigerate for an hour.
- Freshly cut & lightly sugar-coated Strawberries (punnet)
- 70-80g of white chocolate cream per tart
- small dollops of strawberry jam between strawberries
- 3 small basil leaves per tart