The process of making this is time-consuming. Please keep this in mind before continuing. The recipe also yields approximately 100 sandwiched mini chocolate chip cookies, with each portion yielding 14-15 pieces. In other words, approximately 6 portions.
Alternatively, you could make the recipe in two ways, one half with regular-sized cookies and the other half with mini cookies – making the whole process less labour-intensive.
a) Small 5-6 mm piping tip, used to stencil out the small cookies
b) Small piping bag for Nutella
c) Good quality sea salt &
d) Organic milk
• 120g Caster Sugar
• 140g Brown Sugar (wet sand type)
• Packet Vanilla Sugar (approx. 7g) or 1 Tsp Vanilla
• 120g Unsalted Butter
• 160g Plain Flour
• 1⁄2 Tsp Baking Soda
• 15g Skim Milk Powder
• Generous pinch of Salt
• A small packet of small or extra small dark
• A small amount of Nutella for the filling
1. Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Constantly stirring has the butter melts to avoid burning the milk solids. The butter will transition from a yellowish to a brownish tan (also the point to take it off the heat). Let it cool before adding it to the sugar.
2. Add caster sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla sugar to a large bowl. Add cooled brown butter, then the egg and egg yolk. Mix everything well until a smooth/shiny batter forms.
3. Add flour, baking soda, sea salt, and skim milk powder to the batter. Mix until everything until just combines.
4. Add chocolate chips and mix through the batter. Place in the refrigerator for an hour or overnight to intensive the flavours further.
5. Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
6. Take a small portion of batter and keep the
remaining refrigerated. Roll out on a floured surface to approximately three millimeters thickness. Stencil out with a 5-6 mm piping tip. Then, gently place on a tray lined with baking paper. Work quickly to avoid the dough sticking to the surface.
7. Bake batches for 5-6 minutes or until slightly golden brown.
8. Once baked, quickly add three chocolate squares to half the baked cookies by pressing them slightly into the cookies. Careful!!! Wait too long, and the chocolate chips won’t stick in the mini cookies.
9. Let them cool, then gently pipe a small amount of Nutella on the mini cookies without the chocolate chips. Press the mini cookies with chocolate chips on top of the Nutella mini cookies.
10. Season well with sea salt.
as oat milk!